- Domain name or brand : which one to choose?
- OK, so you keep your domain name for your website, and just buy out the other domain name?
- I do plumbing, and my company is called "taratata", and my site taratata.com
- The owner of the site "plumber.com", potentially more adapted to plumbing, calls me and offers to sell his domain name.
Is it worth it for my client? Does he have to buy the domain name, and put all his site on this domain? Should he keep his site, and make plumber.com a peripheral site?
Keep your main site on your brand name, and buy the domain name to:make it a peripheral site only if you plan to invest time on the SEO & SEM side on these sitesown it rather than your competitors :). And there we must discuss how much you are willing to pay for it ;)
Domain name or brand : which one to choose?
A few years ago, the domain name had a lot of influence, and indeed it could be interesting toto have a very nice domain name. Moreover, these perfect domain names:
- still work well on the precise target keyword.
- however plumber.com will not be useful for "leak", or, more annoying, for "urgent repair in NYC" (long tail), so it's true that plumber.com is generic and although it is a good domain name, its impact is quite limited.
Nowadays, companies prefer "brand" strategies rather than "exact match domain" strategies. That is to say that if your name is Vinci, your site should be Vinci.com and not affordable-car-park.com. Google will understand your site’s theme (affordable car park) as long as your content covers the topic on your site Vinci.com.
The exact match is not so much an SEO criterion. A site can even be penalized because it is too Google oriented and not user friendly enough.
OK, so you keep your domain name for your website, and just buy out the other domain name?
Anyway unless you have the means to maintain several quality sites, it is better tobuy the other domain name only so that your competitors don't have it (if it bothers you!)
Article written by Louis Chevant
The complete guide to Internal Meshing
The step-by-step method to build your semantic cocoons, your mesh and the optimal tree structure of your website.